Our honeymoon began in Paris — the city of love. Both Kevin and I had visited Paris previously years ago, so we were eager to experience the city together as newlyweds. This time, we slowed our itinerary down a bit — being less focused on hitting all the sights — to relax and enjoy each other, eat good food, and truly take in the beauty of Paris.
Where We Stayed
- Hôtel Alfred Sommier | For the first portion of our visit in Paris, we stayed with Hôtel Alfred Sommier. Once the personal residence of a wealthy sugar magnate, the property was recently restored to a luxury boutique hotel. The hotel is stunning — with quintessential Parisian details throughout and concierge level service. We loved it!
- K+K Cayre | Following our initial weekend in Paris and week in southern France, we returned for one final night before flying home to Chicago. We booked K+K Cayre last minute and were pleasantly surprised. The location was ideal — central to restaurants, shops, cafes, etc. in St. Germain. We even had a picturesque little balcony overlooking Boulevard Raspail.
Where We Ate
- Girafe | A few weeks prior, I made dinner reservations for our Saturday evening in Paris at Girafe. Designed by Joseph Dirand, the restaurant is totally posh and elegant — but lively and warm. Our food and service was excellent, too. (An iconic view of the Eiffel Tower doesn’t hurt, either.)
- Poulette | Our first meal in Paris was delightful at Poulette. Perfectly charming, the restaurant feels like a welcoming cozy neighborhood spot worth visiting over and over again. We ordered steak frites and Côtes du Rhône.
- La Petite Chaise | Established in 1680, La Petite Chaise is considered the oldest restaurant in Paris. It happened to be located around the corner from our hotel, so we enjoyed a late night dinner here. I had salmon with julienne vegetables and quite possibly the best soupe à l’oignon I’ll ever have.
- Les Deux Magots | One of the best ways to experience Paris is to post up at a cafe to take in the scenery and passerby traffic. We snagged a great table at Les Deux Magots in St. Germain and had a leisurely lunch together on a sunny afternoon.